Wednesday 26 January 2011

'Spanish' rice

This is one of many recipes given to me during the early years of my marriage by one of the older ladies in the church. I wish I could remember who it was, but I can only narrow it down to handful of likely candidates. It's probably not an authentic Spanish recipe, but I'll stick with that, since it's what it was called when it was given to me. Apologies to any Spaniards.

With a wry smile, I realise that I am now one of those 'older ladies' passing on my recipes...

Oven temperature
180C

Ingredients
500g minced beef
125g bacon, diced
250ml raw rice
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
Garlic to taste, chopped
1/2 beef stock cube (or your preferred equivalent)
salt and pepper to taste
5ml mixed herbs
125ml tomato sauce (ketchup)
750ml boiling water
A little oil (about 15ml)

Method
Serve with a dollop of sour cream
  • Fry the onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until softened. 
  • Add bacon and fry lightly until almost done. 
  • Stir in rice.
  • Add mince and stir until browned and crumbly.
  • Add tomatoes and green pepper.Stir until softened.
  • Season with herbs, stock, tomato sauce and seasoning.
  • Place in casserole dish and pour on boiling water.
  • Cover and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
  • Uncover, stir and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the liquid has mostly been absorbed.
  • Serve with a dollop of sour cream (optional) and perhaps a leafy green salad.

Note:
If you double this recipe, don't double the water - increase it by only half (1125ml/1.125l)

No comments:

Post a Comment